Delicious fruit off your own apple trees is one of life's simple pleasures.
Would you like to resurrect some old gnarly apple trees in your yard, or plant a new one? We've done both - with success, and also some mistakes along the way. It's the mistakes that bring us the most knowledge. I'd like to share what I know to help you be successful. I'll share with you how to plant for the best watering and care.
Nothing sparks up a landscape like a well groomed apple tree. You can find them in almost any shape or size. You don't need much space to have one. There are types that grow in a pot on your patio. You can also espalier them to fit in a narrow space. You can train them into a beautiful living fence.
You don't really have to choose just one variety. You can buy one grafted, or do the grafting yourself. In fact, every time you find an apple variety that you really love, just graft it on to your tree.
Pruning is key to a healthy and beautiful tree whether you are planting a new one or trying to rejuvenate an old one. Pruning helps to grow the best fruit. A well pruned tree will have larger greener leaves as well.
Do you know what is the most effective control for codling moth? Well, I've tried a lot of things. Codling moths are the most frustrating part of growing apple trees. If you go to the trouble to plant and care for it, getting tasty fruit is important. I will guide you through the various methods of control and discuss the pros and cons of each.
- Planting Apple Trees
- The best way for planting apple trees for a lifetime of good production.
- pruning apple trees
- Do you know why pruning apple trees is so important?
- Espalier Apple Trees
- Espalier apple trees to beautify your property
- grafting apple trees
- spraying apple trees
- What, when and how of spraying apple trees
- Biological control
- Biological control of apple tree pests
- Apple Aphids, apple tree pests, curled apple leaves
- Two kinds of apple aphids typically infect apple trees.
- Codling Moth
- That worm in your apple is a codling moth.
- Apple Scab
- Apple scab and how to control it.
- Apple Cultivars
- Apple cultivars - there are so many to choose from!
- Bare root apple trees
- How to care for bare root apple trees.
- Dwarf Apple Trees
- Dwarf apple trees are the perfect convenient size for a back yard.
- Crabapple trees are a landscape delight!
- Crabapple trees and provide fruit and food for birds.
- About Me
- Why I write about apple trees for homeowners.
- Contact Me